FW: LDAP Referral via Browser Errors

-----Original Message-----
From: R Seiji [mailto:rich@arslist.info]
Sent: Wednesday, June 11, 2003 3:47 PM
To: 'Wouter Verhelst'
Subject: RE: LDAP Referral via Browser Errors

> First, please do not send HTML-formatted emails to mailinglists.
Thanks.

Sorry, I forget to change format...

> On your question:
>
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 08:08:40AM -0500, R Seiji wrote:
> >    Link: File-List
> >
> >    All tests from command line seem to indicate that the LDAP server
is
> >    operating correctly.  Even able to do command line lookups from
> another
> >    machine.
> >

> >    HOWEVER, cannot get responses via web browser.  Get an error.
>
> This isn't m68k specific, you actually wanted to ask this on
> debian-user. In any case, an LDAP server isn't supposed to talk HTTP
> (the protocol a web browser speaks), it obviously talks LDAP; so the
> fact that you cannot see it in a web browser, is expected and normal
> behaviour. If you want to view the data of your LDAP-server
> graphically, I suggest that you either try the tool 'gq' in the
package
> of the same name, or that you write a webinterface using php4-ldap.
If,
> however, you read somewhere that mozilla is able to speak LDAP, then
you
> misunderstood what was said there; mozilla is indeed able to
communicate
> with an LDAP-server, but only through the 'agenda' thing it has, and
it
> is only able to query for inetOrgPerson objects.
>
> HTH.

Posted to the Debian-68k group since the problem is only showing on
these systems.  Have a similar installation on a 486/83 running RedHat 9
and can successfully be referred via browser using the following URI:
ldap://192.168.1.9/dc=openldap,dc=org.

Again, can run ldapsearch from local machine as well as remote Linux
machine using this command:

ldapsearch -x -b 'dc=example,dc=com' '(objectclass=*)' -h 192.168.1.10

When attempt same access via browser as with the RedHat PC installation,
get error.

No progress since the last posting.  Still seeking assistance.  Thanks.

R. Seiji