Newbie Installation problem

Hopefully a simple one for someone out there.

I'm pretty damn new to all this Linux stuff, and am installing the potato
release on a Mac Performa 630 (68LC040, 36MB RAM, 512MB IDE hard disk)

All goes well through the install, until it gets to rebooting the system.
Then, as it goes through the boot-up process, installing various daemons, it
attempts to start up inetd, and stalls, telling me that id 1 is respawning too
quickly, and disables for 5 mins.

Any advice, help or pointers to useful help would be most gratefully received.
Please be gentle.

Regards

Graham