Debian 2.2 on a Quadra

I've got the CD's and went through Mark Scott's Install Instructions, I've
got two questions/problems:

1) There is no 'Penguin' icon on the CD in the install/mac directory (all
the icons are generic document images). So I tried doing it from the icon on
the HD that was created from de-stuffing Penguin-18. This leads me to my 2nd
issue

2) After setting "Kernel = linux" and "ramdisk = root.bin" & saving the
prefs, I try booting into Linux. The machine scrolls through the boot
messages then hangs on
"Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 00:00"

What am I doing wrong?