Help needed with configuring ip masquerading

The nice folks on lnux-mac68k though that this would be better asked
here :-)

I am confguring an old Mac II to do ip masquerading (which will pretty
much e its
only purpose). I am running 2.0.36 -990223 kernel. I am have been
plugging away
at this project for at least two months on and off; the problem is that
I can't find
adequate directions for the Debian distribution.

I think I can figure out the routing and IP masquerading, but the DHCP
configuration
still escapes me. Too many of the documents refer to and assume RedHat
distributions. They either assume you have X running to configure it  or

tell you to edit files in places that do not exist (it seems) on a
Debian
machine (such as /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifdhspc-done). I tried
get X running on my machine solely for the purpose of simplifying
configuration; that proved to have configuration problems too, which
still
have no resolution (maybe upgrade frame-buffer software--easy once it is
on the net!).
I gave up on that and resigned myself to figuring it out using a command
line interface.

At this point I can have both ethernet cards be pinged over the network;
can set up route to permit this. I could not make eth1 acquire an ip
using
dhcpcd; I thought it was because the kernel autodetected only eth0 (I
could
enable eth1 from the command line using ifconfig), so I switched all the

references to make eth0 be the connection to the outside world, and eth1
be
the connection to the internal network (using 192.168.1.1). Again, this
works and I can ping both cards; but only if I have given eth0 a static
adress of 10.0.0.1. No way, no how can I make eth0 get its address from
dhcp. The dhcpcd config file has IFACE=eth0; the material on DHCP at
http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/DHCP-3.html suggests that in the
Debian installation, that no configuration is otherwise necessary.

At the same time, assigning the ip that is currently being assigned by
the dhcp
server using ifconfig--treating it as  a static ip-- doesn't seem to
allow
me to connect to the internet, even to test the connection. So why
doesn't
it connect to the DHCP server? I need a better reference that the man
page
for dhcpcd, or else some good examples/directions from some of you good
folks.
begin:vcard
n:Karbaliotis;Constantine
x-mozilla-html:FALSE