Re: serial port question

On Mon, 3 May 1999, Thomas Adams wrote:

> How exactly do you use the serial port on a Mac so that you can connect the
> machine to the net? I couldn't figure it out. My modem and serial cable work
> fine with MacOS but not with slink. I tried things like "echo 'ATZ' >
> /dev/ttyS0" and saw the modem lights flashing so I think it should work with
> slink as well. But no matter which program I try, minicom, wvdial or

There is a bug in minicom.  Try running it, changing the port speed (from
whatever it's set to to whatever you like, and back again), and doing the
AT commands.  Also make sure that minicom is looking for the right port
for your modem.

If you have a PPP link to your internet provider, you can use pon and poff
to hook your machine up to the net.  Read PPP-HOWTO (and anything else
that ends in HOWTO that catches your fancy, like Serial-HOWTO)

Mac serial ports work very much the same as ix86 ones under Linux.  I
think we are limited to 38400 bps.

> whatever, I always get results like "modem did not respond". Which
> unfortunately seems to be true because when I use these programs the modem
> lights do not flash.

You may need to set a symlink from /dev/modem to /dev/ttyS0.

-Malcolm