Re: Design points from designer friends - for discussion at IRC meeting tonight.

Hi all

I understand this is going to be a tricky conversation to have. I get that Debian is very different, very independent. I like the idea of each year having it's own look.

I just think a bit more design guidance could go a long way.

As I told Martin, at this early stage I want to push to see how far I can get, as poor design really irritates me, and good design takes time, not necessarily money. If we are going for the 'turd polishing', I can live with that, if I know I tried my best to get something better. Make sense? I would just like to instigate some discussion to see what comes of it. I am entirely prepared to see it shot down, ok? Please don't see this as a hard-assed I want my way or the highway; I'm just testing what the feelings are out there, and trying to bring my experience in - which necessarily has a lot of 'TEDx' in it, but that doesn't mean I'm trying to make this more like TEDx. It does probably look that way right now, because I think we can learn and adapt a fair amount... dangerous territory I know.

I also agree that my interest is far more towards Debian Day, but I don't see Debian Day and DebConf having to be worlds apart, they can share (design) resources, if that makes sense?

You get grassroots designers - what we did for TEDx was get new graduates who are looking to buff up their CV, I'm thinking people who haven't yet definitely decided where they want their career to go, who definitely have more than a 'design job interest' in Debian. Basically someone like me, no background or really intense interest in the coding itself, but an interest in what it can do. Make sense? We have not employed any designers, but served as a reference for many of them (and gloated in the epic jobs they got, perhaps as a result of working with us?) The people I approached for advice were these designers, they get the context.

Having said all that, have a look at how TEDx directs the design of their events - each event and each year having their own look as well.

http://www.ted.com/participate/organize-a-local-tedx-event/tedx-organizer-guide/branding-promotions/logo-and-design/your-tedx-logo

Do a web search for 'tedx logos' to see what I mean.

regards