Re: [Debconf-team] Job fair timing and sponsorship criteria

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 6:19 AM, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:
> also sprach Jimmy Kaplowitz <jimmy@debian.org> [2015-04-29 10:19 +0200]:
>> The job fair is currently scheduled for the main DebConf arrival day.
>
> Actually, we would like Saturday to be the first day of DebConf and
> the main arrival day be Friday, but we probably failed to make this
> clear.
>
>> I'd suggest moving the job fair to the day after the arrival day,
>> which makes this issue irrelevant, and considering transoceanic
>> jetlag & travel fatigue in scheduling job fairs for future
>> DebConfs.
>
> The only issue I see here is that day guests will be leaving in the
> afternoon, including those staffing the fair booths. But seems like
> half a dozen and six of the other, or something about rocks and hard
> places. ;)
>
>> (DebConf16 will be a long flight even for many in nearby
>> longitudes.) If the job fair stays on the arrival day, I'd suggest
>> considering this as a valid sponsorship reason for the final night
>> of DebCamp15 for transoceanic attendees.
>
> The big question is: can we somehow tweak things in the
> communication and still convince people that *all* should arrive on
> Friday already?

I think the ship might have sailed on that boat, as the site has been
advertising 15-22 August for some time. Friday has only been posted
in the  context of "early arrival for sponsored attendees"? [1] (I could
have sworn seeing it in registration materials as well.)

Also, by American standards, 7 days is already a long conference,
especially for those that have to use up days from a fairly common
"two weeks of annual vacation".

I'd guess you'd have an easier time convincing Europeans in countries
that get the whole month of August off?

Cheers,
Brian

[1] - http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.linux.debian.conference.team/12344