Re: [Debconf-team] General schedule proposal for dc15

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 10:19 AM, martin f krafft <madduck@debconf.org> wrote:
> We don't really have much weekend time, especially considering tnat
> we are planning an opening weekend. The next Saturday is already the
> final conference day and we are off on Sunday. I believe just three
> days of talks with all the other days without talks in the afternoon
> will mean too few slots. Generally, I'd be fine with that, but we'd
> have to select very strongly based on quality, and I am not sure we
> are ready to do this.

8 hours during weekends and 3 hours during weekdays add up to: 3*8 +
4*3 = 36 hours of talks.  With 2 talkrooms, that's 72 talk slots (the
amount of talks may vary depending on talk length, which is a
different thing).

I don't think 72 slots is "too few". Particularly if we are then going
to let people have ad-hoc talks about whatever.

> Hacking time — I prefer to call it "free time" — is fine, but that
> should not be the primary focus of our conference, especially not if
> there is DebCamp before…

It's not the same thing, there's a lot of hacking that's triggered as
a response to a particular idea, and also there's much more people
during DebConf who can then get together and work on something. Also,
with the proposed schedule there's only 2.5 hours "reserved" for
hacking, and 5.5 hours of talks+adhoc talks on 4 out of 7 days, so I
wouldn't say that it's the primary focus of the conference.

--
Besos,
Marga