Re: [Debconf-team] DebConf governance discussion

On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 05:42:26PM +0200, Ana Guerrero Lopez wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 07:56:07AM -0700, Patty Langasek wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 19, 2014 at 02:32:30PM +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:

> > <lots of snipping>

> > > The above was a long paragraph to state that I currently prefer
> > > madduck's proposal to yours.

> > Agreed. Taking our comments when we're separated isn't going to resolve
> > anything.  And, if anything, fully encourages me to make sure I have lunch
> > with madduck and OdyX to prepare that both dinners can drive a consistent
> > message, which is probably exactly what you don't want, and exactly what I
> > will do (and I fully admit I'll do it).

> How is that negative? Right now I see something like 10 different messages,
> if we have a meeting and there is only 3 different messages, it's an improvement...

Because consensus of the part is not a proxy for consensus of the whole, and
dividing the groups arbitrarily by local team distorts the conversation.

Siloing of local teams is a persistent problem within DebConf organization,
which has reached an all-time high this year with people telling me "the
local team should be planning to take care of <list of functions that are
completely invisible to anyone following debconf-team and which have
historically been driven by a team of long-term domain experts>".  It's not
healthy to have on the one hand people saying "there is no local or global
team, just the team", and on the other hand saying "you'd better find local
volunteers for these things that have nothing to do with the conference's
location or else DebConf won't happen".

So no, I don't intend to participate in any plan that involves separating
the teams by year to have separate conversations.  It's hard enough to
improve the institutional continuity of DebConf year over year due to the
nature of the work and the burnout factor; we don't need to make it worse by
quarantining the teams for such an important discussion topic.