Re: [Debconf-team] sponsorship levels

[There's no need to CC me, I'm on the list.]

On Fri, Feb 09, 2007 at 02:47:44PM +0100, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 05:34:27PM +0000, Jonathan McDowell wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 03:55:26PM +0100, Holger Levsen wrote:
> > > I honestly think it's a big mistake not to go with sponsorship levels,
> > > as was "decided" (*) in the sponsorship team meeting:
> > >
> > > 1. I believe, that we get more money from sponsors, if they have an
> > > incentive to spend more money to reach higher levels. Currently it
> > > doesnt really matter how much money they give. Organizers of other
> > > free-software conferences  supported me in this view.
> >
> > The addition of such sponsorship levels could well scare off smaller
> > sponsors; people who are prepared to give what they can in support, but
> > would rather not contribute than be listed in the "second class
> > sponsorship" region.
>
> I think that's total bullshit. I don't see why someone who wants to
> sponsor 2000 euros would feel "scared off" seen that someone who offers
> 10 times as much gets a bit more recognition for that.

I'm sorry you and Holger don't seem to appreciate a comment from the
alternative prospective. I made the decision on behalf of a small
sponsor to give money to Debconf and the addition of sponsorship levels
would have made me think twice about this and consider if the money
could have been better used sponsoring something else (not necessarily
Debian related). I was trying to provide a useful data point.

J.

--
 "p.s You're all retards." -- merl |  .''`.  Debian GNU/Linux Developer