Re: [Debconf-discuss] bear essentials?

On 21/08/14 02:01, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> On 20 August 2014 06:59, Daniel Pocock <daniel@pocock.pro> wrote:
>>

>> On 20/08/14 00:34, Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
>>> I think Portland is just strange, at times, and all incidents are
>>> one-offs. E.g. the news that got reported by sub-prime news agencies
>>> around US and UK this May:
>>>
>>> "
>>> High Elf, High on Acid, Attacks Woman's BMW With a Sword
>>> Portland, Ore. police responded to a 911 call at around 7 a.m. Tuesday
>>> morning from a woman who believed her car was under attack by a
>>> pirate. But instead of a routine pirate attack—oh, Portland—they
>>> discovered an armored man who claimed he was a High Elf.
>>> "
>>>
>>> http://gawker.com/high-elf-high-on-acid-attacks-womans-bmw-with-a-sword-1579493237
>>>
>>> With many other sources on the interwebs (e.g. metro.co.uk time.com
>>> etc, more or less recycled story).
>>>
>>> My impression of Portland is that it's a charming little place, who
>>> take a little bit of pride in the unusual.
>>
>> My post wasn't meant to be a criticism of Portland at all, just a bit of
>> excitement about US wildlife.  We don't have bears in Australia or any
>> of the other places I've lived.
>>

> But you have the cutest bears of all! The koala bears =) I'm yet to
> visit Australia, but my naive expectations so far is that the
> Australian wildlife is diverse, exciting and things I've never seen
> before.

Cuteness is a disguise.  They will sink their claws 5 - 10cm into your
skin and then swing like Tarzan.  At least the crocodile sees you as
food but the Koala is just having fun with you.

>> Last October we visited California and a few weeks later we saw this and
>> wondered how many bears we had walked past without noticing them:
>>

> Ah. Well, I guess I'm not as exciting for me, hence I have skipped so
> far visiting the national parks and forests in California. My dad is a
> hunter and I'm from Latvia thus I've seen a lot of bears, deer, wild
> boars, foxes, rabbits etc and many other more rare animals. But e.g.
> even around London, foxes are very common.

When we lived in Limehouse, there was a fox family in the rather
inaccessible green area around the Canary Wharf entrance to the
Limehouse Link tunnel.  London's answer to the wolf of Wall Street
perhaps?  They don't show up in the satellite image though:

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=51.507641,+-0.028760&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&ie=UTF8&z=18&iwloc=A