Re: [Debconf-discuss] group travel by train to Debconf

(People in CC, please mention if you're subscribed to debconf-discuss
so that we avoid double mails)

Quoting Gaudenz Steinlin (gaudenz@debian.org):

> Dates: I plan to attend at least part of Debcamp. So I will leave
> Switzerland either on Friday 07/17 or on Monday 07/20. The night train
> only goes on Mo/We/Fr. The train back would be on Thursday 07/30. As far
> as I understand it, Thursday is the general departure day. Is this
> correct or does the conference end on Thursday evening and most people are
> staying until Friday?
>
> To see if there is sufficent interest and when most people want to
> travel I setup a survey on Doodle. Of course it is also possible to
> only travel one way with the group. Please fill the survey at the
> following location if you are interested:
> http://www.doodle.com/57625rrviyhbg676
>
> If you have better ideas for how to travel to Debconf by train, feel
> free to propose alternative itineraries.

There are people also trying to coordinate themselves for a rail
travel from Paris to Madrid.

Infos are currently gathered on
http://wiki.earth.li/DebconfTravel2009/Trains

Most concerned people are from UK, Benelux and France for the
Paris-Madrid trip.

I think we should probably move that page to the Debconf9 wiki. Daniel
(Glassey), as you're apparently the originator for that page, would
you mind doing so ?

As of now, I made attempts to "book" from http://www.voyages-sncf.com
(the French railays crappy booking web site....it sometimes fails "for
technical reasons"...without any reason).

The rate for a "Prem's" ticket is EUR88 so a one-way ticket, so EUR176
for a return ticket. This is in a 4-bed cabin. There are also 2-bed
cabins. Prem's tickets are not exchangeable nor refundable. Another
fare is the "Loisir" fare, which is echangeable and refundable and is
EUR256 for a return ticket.

I did not check for information about InterRail cards option, mostly
because I'm not entitled to such cards since a few years...:-)

The page in wiki.earth.li suggests moving the information to the
Debconf9 wiki, which I think would be a good idea.

*Really*, this is probably the first thing to do:
-setup a "Travel by train" wiki page trying to gather together:
 - Zurich-Barcelona travellers
 - Milano-Barcelona travellers
 - Paris-Madrid travellers
- decide about a "coordinator" for each travel, who could try getting
  the best fare by grouping the demand instead of having everybody
  doing reservations on their own (Elipsos trains mandate
  resevations) so that we can group together in cabins to make
  nice night train hacklabs

Elipsos web site also mentions there exists group fares, which could
be interesting...though it might be hard to do because not everybody
will travel *to* Debconf on the same day.

Voluntarily CC'ing people listed on the wiki.earth.li page to get
attention, as there have been private exchanges about this but we'd
better coordinate ourselves on a public mailing list, IMHO.

PS: I finally made up my own mind and *will* travel by train.