Re: [Debconf-discuss] DebConf6 - Trip after DebConf

martin f krafft dijo [Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 03:30:48PM +0100]:
> I think 7 days is a fair choice. We can do the train ride (or some
> of us can) and still spend 3-4 days together, probably not too far
> away from Mexico City.

Sadly, in Mexico you cannot train-ride much anymore - there are some
very good train trips, like the one Bubulle mentioned in Chihuahua or
the world-famous Tequila Express in Tequila, Jalisco... But other than
that, you have to take the bus. One of the reasons is that most of the
country is mountainous, and trains used to take forever. There is a
project on building a high-speed train between the most important
cities... But right now it's only a political good wish.

> (...)
> Thus I propose that we set out on 22 May for some distant point and
> aim to hit Mexico City on Friday 26. That would leave us with
> a weekend in a metropole with time to spend and many ways to party.

I don't think you want to go to "a distant point" having only four
days to be there. Well, unless you like sleeping in uncomfortable
places such as buses - and I know you hold in very good value your
good sleep ;-)

For four days, I suggest you to go to Oaxaca, Veracruz, maybe even
Chiapas - but that's the farthest.

> What do people say? Shall we set those dates? If yes, then I would
> fly in from Zurich on 13 May and board the plane in Mexico City
> again on 28 May. If other people announce their travel days, those
> who want can coordinate. I've set up another wiki page to coordinate
> travel requirements and interests, so maybe consider adding your
> data:
>
>   http://wiki.debian.org/DebConf6Travel

Please don't fill that page. I promise that by the week's end I'll
have you a information page on other attendee's arrivals/departures in
your Comas page. Lets keep the information in one place!

Greetings,

PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23