Re: tunes from your area

On Mon, 2005-06-20 at 19:15 +0300, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:

> What is not clear is how many copies one can make of a work for private
> use (the law says "muutama" 'a few') and what is personal use.
> Conventional wisdom says that personal use should be interpreted
> narrowly, but it includes at least sharing with one's immediate family.

All we can do (in Finland, and AFAIK, elsewhere) is use common sense.
The law just doesn't know what is fair and what is not in this matter.
Sanity is even less what you can expect from the law. I will not go to
the absurd copyright bullscheisse constantly developed into American and
European law, if you don't mind.

> There is, however, a bill that would change this, effectively requiring
> the possession of a legal copy for making the private use copies.

Fair enough. I can always borrow a perfectly legal copy from the nearest
library :)

> IANAL :)

AOL

--