Re: Problems when writing DVDs with growisofs

From: Andy Polyakov <appro@fy.chalmers.se>
Subject: Re: Problems when writing DVDs with growisofs
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:43:35 +0200

Hi Andy,

 thanks for your reply !

> Folks! Do math first! Dataset size was reportedly about 4.4GB, while I/O
> error logged at 4GB *exactly*. It can't be some prefetch/pad bug! It
> looks as if kernel can't manage volumes larger than 4GB *at all*. Or at
> least refuses to...
>
> > The problem has been "solved" (moved):
> >
> > For the device of my DVD-burners there was "pktsetup" (for writing to
> > DVDRAM) called via a initscript from which I dont know that it was
> > aktivated.
>
> This is misconception. pktsetup is not for DVD-RAM, but for CD-RW packet
> writing, but can as well be used with DVD-RW Restricted Overwrite and
> DVD+RW [at least as far as I understand].

 What data transferrate would you exspect while writing to a DVDRAM?
 I know, that is slower than DVD+/-RW, since it does verify the data,
 but with my setup it takes hours to write 4GB...

 Hardware: LG 4163B (A106 firmware, newest stable)
 Software: Linux 2.6.17.4 (newest stable)

 formatted with udf (udftools)
 Mounted directly (no pktcdvd...)

> > Ok, I can now read my DVD successfully and completly.
>
> So that packet writing module limits volume size to 4GB? Talk to the
> maintainer... readcd worked because it bypasses block device and issues
> raw read commands to its liking.
>
> > But it remains the question, why I should not read my my DVDRAM now
> > completly...
>
> You should not have any problems reading or writing DVD-RAM with pkt
> module disengaged. Nor should you have problems *reading* any kind of
> DVD media and writing with growisofs with pkt module disengaged. A.

  Yes, if pktdvd disabled everything -- with exception of DVDRAM (see
  above) -- fine.

  Kind regards,
  mcc