Re: cdrtools-2.01a37 ready

> Volker >
> > I would have provided cdrecord packages, alas I never had problems with
> the SuSE-supplied ones, therefore no point spending time on it.
>
> The binary (with DVD patch, disclaimer and all) which i
> found after system installation did not work setuid root.
> Since that method is advised by the man who must know,
> i will not advise my users to do it different.

That is a matter of opinion, of course. I dislike suid programs, and
have only Jörg's word that it'll be ok. On the other hand I have a
binary which is modified to not require suid, which seems the better
concept to me in any case.

If Jörg wants me to believe he's better than the SuSE security team
(who have a bigger reputation to lose), he will have to supply better
information than the exceptionally uninformative "it's defective", "you
shouldn't use it", "they don't know what they're talking about" when
asked about it. Answers like those don't give me the impression I want
to trust that person in security matters thanks all the same.

Let's not forget that there are 2 separate changes SuSE makes: the DVD
addons (daft, and I've told them so), and the removal of the suid
requirement. Jörg may have a different opinion about the latter, but
he'll have to learn to accept that others don't share his. Dito for
other technical matters.

> because it is not from 100% original sources and i will not
> start another surplus fork of cdrecord (even if it's only
> about one  #define HZ 100  to make it compile).

Compiles OOTB on 9.1, though I never used it to actually burn anything.

Volker

http://volker.dnsalias.net/		Please do not CC list postings to me.