Re: dvd+rw-tools-5.20.4.10.8: File is too large

On  5 Aug, scdbackup@gmx.net wrote:
> Therefore the constraints with my advice to write the tar.gz file
> to DVD without an ISO wrap. That would be readable on any Unix.

Yes and No,
Since there is no notion of a file length and most of the time
I get LOTS of errors and the end of the file when reading from a
raw CD.

> I'm now testing automated splitting of such files within my own
> software (coward's limit: 2047m). That'll need up to 4.7 GB of
> disk buffer. I cannot imagine a method to mix on-the-fly file parts
> with usual mkisofs input from disk directories. Or to fiddle
> disk directories into something like -stream-media-size  :(

What's the problem?
If both parts reside on the same volume (DVD)
e.g. as  B.tar.gz.1 B.tar.gz.2

cat /dvd/B.tar.gz.1 /dvd/B.tar.gz.2 | tar xzf -

If you need to change volumes in between take
Shunt <http://www.serice.net/shunt/>

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik